Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recipe: New Mexico Green Chile Stew

Okay, a few months ago I had a friend ask me what vegetarians eat when they have a cold, since they can't eat chicken soup. The answer: THIS. It's the best. Seriously. I made this on Saturday because everyone in my house is crazy sick right now - I have this obnoxiously persistent head cold, my sister has walking pneumonia, and my mother seems to have whooping cough or something because her coughing is keeping me up at night. Anyway, we were sick and I was homesick for New Mexico, so I made a big pot of this, and it was delicious. If you don't like tofu in soups or just don't want tofu in THIS soup, you can leave out the tofu and add an extra can of pinto beans.

Ingredients:


2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 a medium onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. extra firm tofu, drained and cut into bite size cubes
4 Tbsp flour
32 oz. vegetable stock
28 oz. chopped New Mexico green chile
2 small tomatoes, diced
1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 large carrot, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 small potatoes, diced
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
dash Tabasco sauce

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sautee until onions are translucent. Add tofu and saute about 2 minutes, adding more olive oil if necessary. Add flour and stir well. When the tofu and onions are evenly coated with flour, add vegetable stock and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer at least 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. I prefer to let it simmer at least an hour and a half or so. Serve with tortillas, biscuits, or bread - or top with crumbled tortilla chips.


Now Playing: Skinny Puppy - Stairs and Flowers (def wish mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment